Fantasty Theme Analysis & Symbolic Convergence Theory
Bormann: Central Assumptions
- Communication creates reality via a connection between the words we
use and the experience/knowledge we gain.
- Individual's meanings for symbols can converge to create a shared reality.
Fantasy Theme Analysis
- From small group research, via Bales.
- The Minnesota program.
- Bales Interaction Process Analysis.
Fantasy Theme Concepts
The activity of dramatizing.
The type of communication in which the fantasy occurs.
The content of the dramatizing message, chained by participants.
Repetition of particular scenerios that stress a specific ideological
Sharing a fantasy theme and types across a wider community.
Gets made via shared rhetorical visions.
Symbolic Convergence: Genesis
- Problems with Fantasy Theme Perspective.
- Broader theoretic notion: A General Communication Theory.
- A communication practice which cuts across conventional usage and
- A set of symbols comes to have a common meaning across diverse populations.
Doesn't require tracking of fantasy chains or of small group processes.
Locates sets of symbols in diverse communities; shows how the meanings
for those symbols can converge.
Example: Donald Shields on Malcom X.
When X first presents these, they sound radical and scary to white people.
But X used themes which are consonant with mainstream American culture,
so in time, the symbols came to mean the same things to the diverse communities
which heard them.
- self sufficiency
- legal process
back to lecture note index