1. Outlines can use words, phrases, or complete sentences. For all IM 355 assignments, please use full sentence outlines. IM 355 outlines do NOT use bullets.
2. Subdivide topics by a system of numbers and letters, followed by a period and using indentation to mark levels of importance.3. Where there is a subdivision, at least two items must result and items at the same level of abstraction are in the same place in the hierarchy both with regard to symbolization and indentation.
4. Subpoints must relate to the main points above them.
5. Use alternate symbols rather than closely related pairs. For instance, use A, 1, & 2 rather than A, a, & b.
6. Generally, one looks for the following pattern:
Further explanations can be found here
This assignment is for Reading Summaries (5), (22), (23). The teaching (but not the assignment instructions) also applies to your outline for your paper/project.
When your reading summary is targeted at a full sentence outline of the author's writing, I want you to outline the material in the chapter(s) by indicating three main points, two subpoints for each main point, and two pieces of evidence for each subpoint. If you wish, you may indicate the determination of the subpoints and transitions to the next main point (if they appear). Include page numbers for the elements.
an example (.pdf download, a file without the documentation that you will need when you write the outline for your research paper later in the term, and without reference page numbers, but ok as an example for reading summary full-sentence outlines).